ELEXON Board Circulars
The ELEXON Board publishes a circular every 6 months to keep Parties informed of the issues that the Board is currently focused on. Our Board is scheduled to meet on ten occasions each year, and at other times where necessary. These meetings include main Board meetings, strategy meetings and committee meetings.
January update from Michael Gibbons
In his open letter to BSC parties Michael Gibbons, Chairman of the board and the BSC Panel, speaks about the
- New digital platform
- Energy Codes review
- Foundation Programme
- 2020/21 Business Plan
- 2019 Customer Survey results
As in previous letters, the Board’s focus is on explaining ELEXON’s strategy, our Foundation Programme and governance, and also what we have been doing to maintain and develop relationships with our various stakeholders.
PDF version of the latest circularBoard Circular No.6 - 8 January 2020 (Size: 82.37 KB)
Summary from the latest letter
New digital platform
There is a continuing focus on providing core services and representing value for money, particularly in the current difficult trading environment for our customers.
The Foundation Programme is a multi-year programme that will modernise the technical architecture of the BSC central systems. In doing so it will provide a new digital platform enabling ELEXON to meet the needs of a smarter, more flexible electricity system in the coming years.
The opening up of the Balancing Mechanism to independent aggregators on 11 December was a significant milestone for programme, as the new technology platform for our Settlement Solution went live as part of this release.
Key features of the new digital platform are:
- The Settlement Solution: which performs scalable, flexible and modular electricity Settlement and calculations operations
- The Customer Solution: which digitalises market entry, registration and account management for both new and existing electricity companies
- The Insights Solution: receiving, processing and publishing data together with insights to aid business and industry decision making
Continued contribution to the energy codes review
Michael Gibbons also highlighted ELEXON’s ongoing commitment to support and contribute to the conclusion and implementation phase of the review by Government and Ofgem of the energy codes.
The Foundation Programme
Pages 32 and 33 of the 2019/2020 Business Plan explain more detail about implementation of the Foundation Programme.
2020/21 Business Plan
The latest draft of the Business Plan focuses on supporting customers and meeting demands of a changing landscape. This includes consolidating and simplifying central market arrangements and enabling and supporting innovative consumer-facing solutions.
- View the 2020/21 Business Plan
- Board Circular No.5 - 5 July 2019 (Size: 245.09 KB)
- Board Circular no. 4 - 14 February 2019 (Size: 138.90 KB)
- Board Circular no. 3 - 10 July 2018 (Size: 154.08 KB)
- Board Circular No 2 - 1 February 2018 (Size: 175.88 KB)
- Board Circular No 1 - 8 June 2017 (Size: 129.27 KB)
Previously the Board publishes updates as part of its Board headline reports. However, this document set has been replaced by the Board Circulars.