Industry Non-Executive Director
Volker Beckers is an Industry Non-Executive Director on the ELEXON Board and was appointed in March 2013. He has more than 20 years’ senior experience within the energy industry and has a comprehensive knowledge of European energy markets.
Role at ELEXON
As part of the ELEXON Board, Volker is responsible for:
- providing leadership to ELEXON
- setting the company’s strategic aims, including the approval of its annual Business strategy
- ensuring that the necessary financial and human resources are in place for the company to meet its objectives, including approving the company’s budget
- reviewing the performance of the company’s management
- the governance of the company
- ensuring that ELEXON’s obligations to its stakeholders, including BSC Parties, are understood and met
BSC Parties can vote to remove ELEXON’s directors at the Annual BSC Meeting or at a General Meeting of Voting Parties which can be requested at any time.
Skills and experience
Volker Beckers graduated from Cologne University in Economics/Business Administration. He was Group CEO, RWE Npower plc until the end of 2012 and prior to this, its Group CFO from 2003 to 2009.
He has worked in a variety of trade and industry bodies, including the CBI President’s Committee, on the Board of the German-British Chamber of Industry & Commerce, and since 1999 as Deputy Chair of the Executive Commercial Management Committee at the German Association of Energy and Water Industries (BDEW).
He was also member of the Executive Committee of UKBCSE (now Energy UK).
He held a number of non-Executive directorships including HM Revenue & Customs where he chaired the Scrutiny Committee.
Since 2009 he chairs the Interdisciplinary Group hosted by EnergyUK, the Business Energy Forum.
- Non-Executive Chairman, Cornwall Insight
- Non-Executive Chairman, Foresight Metering
- Director and Honorary Vice-President, British Institute of Energy Economics
- Chairman and Member of the Advisory Board, PwC
Non-Executive Chairman, Reactive Technologies Ltd
- Non-Executive Chairman, Albion Community Power plc
- Vice-Chairman of Danske Commodities
- Non-Executive Director, Nuclear Decommissioning Authority
- Advisor to the Executive Board of Mercatus Inc., USA
- Industry Non-Executive Director, ELEXON Ltd.
Volker currently sits on the Advisory Board of the EU Centre for Energy and Resource Security (EUCERS) at King’s College, and is Chair of the Advisory Board with Erasmus Centre for Future Energy Business (ECFEB), a specialist research centre at Rotterdam School of Management. In 2014 he joined the Board of Trustees of Forum for the Future.
He is also a member of The Worshipful Company of Fuellers and a Fellow of the Energy Institute.