008 SVA Risk: Metered Data is not processed or transferred
This page outlines the risk that SVA metered data is not processed or transferred correctly, or at all.
How it relates to you
Risk 008 impacts meters in the SVA market where metered data has been obtained by the DC, inclusive of Half Hourly (HH) and Non-Half Hourly (NHH) Metering Systems.
Parties responsible for risk factors
- Data Collector
- Meter Operator Agent
- Licenced Distribution System Operator
Parties responsible for operating controls
- Data Collector
- Data Aggregator
Risk 008 forms part of the Meter data process shown in the Risk Visualisation Tool.
Potential causes, or as they known in the Risk Evaluation Register: Risk Factors are the points of failure that could result in erroneous or estimated data entering Settlement.
Elexon has identified a number of typical failure points related to this risk, parties should note the list is non-exhaustive, and not all risk factors are applicable to every role type.
- Meter reads are not transferred to Data Collector (e.g. Customer, initial, final etc. from Supplier, Licenced Distribution System Operator and Meter Operator Agent)
- Meter reads are not validated correctly (by the Supplier or DC, or both)
- DC calculates EAC/AAs incorrectly, including deemed reads (e.g. using incorrect Daily Profile Coefficients)
- DC does not send energy volumes to Data Aggregator correctly, or at all (e.g. D0019 / D0036 / D0380)
- Unauthorised changes to Settlement data are made after Final Reconciliation
- DC does not reprocess Metered data when additional information becomes available
- Meter Operator Agent does not calculate Complex Site rule correctly
- HHDC does not apply the Complex Site rule correctly
- HHDC does not correctly apply Allocation Schedules for Shared SVA Metering Arrangements
- Failure to install or maintain communications including cost of line installation and lack of interoperability on Change of Supplier
Parties responsible for operating controls should take note of the information below. This identifies the BSC Sections and Procedures relating the risk.
Parties should understand their responsibilities in relation to this risk.
BSC Section J Party Agents and Qualification under the Code BSC Section S outlines these.
Review the processes outlined in the following BSCPs and ensure that internal processes match the requirements:
- BSCP502: Half Hourly Data Collection for SVA Metering Systems Registered in SMRS
- BSCP504: Non Half Hourly Data Collection for SVA Metering Systems Registered in SMRS
- BSCP514: SVA Meter Operations for Metering Systems Registered in SMRS
Impact of this risk on the industry
This graph highlights the probability distribution of this risk and cost incurred to the industry when a risk manifests over the course of a year.
- Impact: £5.45 Million
- Upper impact: £8.95 Million
- Volatility: High
In order for you (a party) to calculate the impact this risk has on your party, please multiply your market share by the impact as outlined above.
Risk Evaluation Register sets out further detailed information on the noted controls.
Support and training
Operational Support Managers (OSMs) are able to help with further information or training on this risk and associated processes.
Methodology used for this risk
The following document outlines the methodology used to assess the Settlement Risk related to the retrieval of metered data.