010 SVA Risk: Transfer of Meter Read History incorrect
This page outlines the risk that on change of Data Collector, meter read history is incorrect or not transferred such that sufficient history is not available for validating and estimating energy volumes.
How it relates to you
Risk 010 impacts all meters in the SVA market.
Elexon note that the population at risk is changes of NHHDC, with or without a concurrent change of Supplier.
Parties responsible for risk factors
- Data Collector
Parties responsible for a control
- Data Collector
Risk 010 forms part of data retrieval and processing shown in the Risk Visualisation Tool.
Potential causes, or as they known in the Risk Evaluation Register: Risk Factors are the points of failure that could result in erroneous or estimated data entering Settlement.
Elexon has identified a number of typical failure points related to this risk, parties should note the list is non-exhaustive, and not all risk factors are applicable to every role type.
- Meter read history not requested by Supplier (D0170)
- Old Data Collector didn’t receive the meter read history on appointment and didn’t retrieve further reads so there is no information to include in meter read history
- Old DC doesn’t send on latest reads received after meter read history sent
- Old DC includes readings that have failed validation, but are not flagged as such, within the meter read history
Parties responsible for operating controls should take note of the information below. This identifies the BSC Sections and Procedures relating the risk.
Parties should understand their responsibilities in relation to this risk.
Review the processes outlined in the following BSCPs and ensure that internal processes match the requirements:
- BSCP502: Half Hourly Data Collection for SVA Metering Systems Registered in SMRS
- BSCP504: Non Half Hourly Data Collection for SVA Metering Systems Registered in SMRS
Impact on this risk on the industry
This graph highlights the probability distribution of this risk and cost incurred to the industry when a risk manifests over the course of a year.
- Impact: £2.7 Million
- Upper impact: £7.8 Million
- Volatility: Low
In order for you (a party) to calculate the impact this risk has on your party, please multiply your market share by the impact as outlined above.
Risk Evaluation Register sets out further detailed information on the noted controls.
Support and training
Operational Support Managers (OSMs) are able to help with further information or training on this risk and associated processes.
Methodology used for this risk
The following document outlines the methodology used to assess the Settlement Risk related to the retrieval of metered data.