012 SVA Risk: Meter System Technical Details inaccurate
This page outlines the risk that SVA Metering System technical details are created incorrectly.
How it relates to you
Risk 012 impacts all meters in the SVA market.
Elexon notes this risk impacts Meter installations and any reconfigurations that impact data items within MTDs.
Parties responsible for risk factors
- Meter Operator Agent
- Licenced Distribution System Operator
Parties responsible for risk controls
- Data Collector
Risk 012 forms part of the metered connection and disconnection process shown in the Risk Visualisation Tool.
Potential causes, or as they known in the Risk Evaluation Register: Risk Factors are the points of failure that could result in erroneous or estimated data entering Settlement.
Elexon has identified a number of typical failure points related to this risk, parties should note the list is non-exhaustive, and not all risk factors are applicable to every role type.
- Meter Technical Details or Site Technical Details (D0215) incorrectly recorded or transferred by on-site engineer (Meter Operator Agent, Licenced Distribution System Operator or a third party such as Building Network Operator)
- Smart Meter Configuration Details (D0367) created incorrectly by the Supplier
- MTDs or site technical details incorrectly recorded by back office operative (MOA, LDSO, third party)
- MTDs incorrectly translated from previous data flows (manual intervention on change of agent or Measurement Class)
- Complex Site status recorded incorrectly
- Shared SVA Metering System are recorded incorrectly
Parties responsible for operating controls should take note of the information below. This identifies the BSC Sections and Procedures relating the risk.
Parties should understand their responsibilities in relation to this risk. BSC Section L and BSC Section S outline these.
Review the processes outlines in the following BSCPs and ensure that internal processes match the requirements:
- BSCP514: SVA Meter Operations for Metering Systems Registered in SMRS
- BSCP515: Licensed Distribution
- BSCP550: Shared SVA Meter Arrangement of Half Hourly Import and Export Active Energy
Impact of this risk on the industry
This graph highlights the probability distribution of this risk and cost incurred to the industry when a risk manifests over the course of a year.
- Impact: £6.2 Million
- Upper impact: £17.1 Million
- Volatility: Medium
In order for you (a party) to calculate the impact this risk has on your party, please multiply your market share by the impact as outlined above.
Risk Evaluation Register sets out further detailed information on the noted controls.
Support and training
Operational Support Managers (OSMs) are able to help with further information or training on this risk and associated processes.
Methodology used for this risk
The following document outlines the methodology used to assess the Settlement Risk related to the retrieval of metered data.