018 SVA Risk: Revenue Protection volumes are not settled
This page outlines the Risk that Revenue Protection processes are not managed sufficiently, such that unrecorded energy volumes are excluded from Settlement.
How it relates to you
Smaller suppliers might be more affected, as they are less likely to engage in revenue protection activity.
Parties responsible for risk factors
- Data Collector
Parties responsible for risk controls
Risk 018 forms part of the data retrieval and processing process shown in the Risk Visualisation Tool.
Potential causes, or as they known in the Risk Evaluation Register: Risk Factors are the points of failure that could result in erroneous or estimated data entering Settlement.
Elexon has identified a number of typical failure points related to this risk, parties should note the list is non-exhaustive, and not all risk factors are applicable to every role type.
- Evidence of tampering is not reported by the DC
- DC does not record the adjustments to the meter advance, recalculate meter advances, or calculate estimates correctly or at all, as instructed by Revenue Protection Services
- Lack of understanding of the processes involved including DCUSA, BSC, UKRPA
Parties responsible for operating controls should take note of the information below. This identifies the BSC Sections and Procedures relating the risk.
Review the processes outlined in the following BSCPs and ensure that internal processes match the requirements:
- BSCP502: Half Hourly Data Collection for SVA Metering Systems Registered in SMRS
- BSCP504: Non Half Hourly Data Collection for SVA Metering Systems Registered in SMRS
Impact of this risk on the industry
- Impact: £1.7 Million
- Upper Impact: £10.1 Million
- Volatility: Low
In order to calculate the impact this risk has on your Party, multiply your market share by the impact as outlined above.
Risk Evaluation Register sets out further detailed information on the noted controls.
Support and training
Operational Support Managers (OSMs) are able to help with further information or training on this risk and associated processes.
Methodology used for this risk
The following documents outline the methodology used to assess the Settlement Risk related to Agent appointments.