027 CVA Risk: Payment Default
This page outlines the Risk that Trading Parties do not or are unable to pay Trading Charges fully or at all, such that it triggers an Event of Default.
How it relates to you
Parties responsible for risk factors
- Trading parties
Parties responsible for risk controls
- Non-Performance Assurance Parties
Potential causes, or as they known in the Risk Evaluation Register: Risk Factors are the points of failure that could result in erroneous or estimated data entering Settlement.
Elexon has identified a number of typical failure points related to this risk, parties should note the list is non-exhaustive, and not all risk factors are applicable to every role type.
- Higher exposure to system prices (e.g. trading strategy, imbalance position)
- Regulatory sanctions (e.g. ban on registering new customers / increasing direct debits)
- Unexpected reconciliation charges (e.g. through Final Reconciliation or Trading Disputes)
- Other industry costs (e.g. gas trading charge, Renewables Obligation)
Parties responsible for operating controls should take note of the information below. This identifies the BSC Sections and Procedures relating the risk.
Review the processes outlined in the following documents and ensure that internal processes match the requirements:
Impact of this risk on the industry
- Impact: £1.1 Million
- Upper Impact: £6.5 Million
- Volatility: Medium
In order to calculate the impact this risk has on your Party, multiply your market share by the impact as outlined above.
Risk Evaluation Register sets out further detailed information on the noted controls. Details can be found under Associated Documents.
Support and training
Operational Support Managers (OSMs) are able to help with further information or training on this risk and associated processes.
Methodology used for this risk
The following documents outline the methodology used to assess the Settlement Risk related to Agent appointments.