Submitting Expenses


What am I entitled to claim for?

We will reimburse reasonable costs and expenses incurred for attending meetings or in conducting the business of the BSC for:

  • Panel Members and Alternates when acting as a Member
  • Panel Committee Members, and Alternates when acting as a Member
  • Modification and Standing Issue Group Members. There are no Alternates to Modification Group Members
  • Ad hoc working groups established to conduct BSC business, such as reviews of processes.

Whilst we welcome attendance at these meetings, expenses cannot be claimed where Parties are not actual members of the groups but attend out of interest.

In addition, we will not reimburse expenses for attending information events or forums facilitated by Elexon, such as Elexon Introduction Seminars or education sessions, forums or advisory groups such as STAG, TAMEG, IMAG, UMSUG, and similar events. If you are not sure whether you can claim expenses or not, please contact [email protected].

If you are entitled to claim expenses, please use the most cost effective travel available and please remember that expenses are ultimately reimbursed by all BSC Parties. If you travel by rail or plane, standard, second-class or economy fares should be used. Panel and Panel Committee Members may travel first class in exceptional circumstances where the bulk of business being read is confidential.

If you want to arrange to travel first class regularly, you may claim the second-class portion of the fare and make up the cost difference yourself. Please contact the Technical Secretary of the relevant group to arrange this beforehand.

For travel by car, our mileage rates are 45 pence per mile or 25 pence per mile if your cumulative mileage total exceeds 10,000 miles.

How do I claim expenses?

If you are a member employed by a Company:

Submit an expense claim to your employer using your employer’s procedures (e.g. your employer’s mileage rate if relevant);

Request that your employer raises an invoice for Elexon for the claim amount; and

Ensure that the invoice includes the following information:

  • Name of claimant;
  • Meeting name and date (e.g. PAB or P217);
  • Amount claimed for each item (train fare, airline ticket, hotel, mileage etc.); and
  • Supporting receipts (or copies).

If you are a member working in an individual capacity:

If registered for VAT, please raise an invoice for the amount you want to claim and send it to us with the supporting information as set out above. If not registered for VAT, please send a letter to us, along with any supporting information.

Invoices should be sent by email to:
[email protected]
Please include ‘Expenses Claim’ within the subject line of your email.

Or you can send invoices by post to:
Elexon Finance Department
350 Euston Road

What do I do if I am claiming for the first time?

If you are claiming for the first time, you need to provide various details to be added to our finance systems before we can pay invoices.


Click on the X next to any of the icons to replace them with a short-cut link to the page you are currently on or search for a specific page.