SVA Qualification & Re-Qualification
Find out how to prepare for Supplier Volume Allocation (SVA) Qualification and what you need to do in order to qualify. You can also find out if you need to re-qualify.
On this page
SVA Qualification – Market Entry video
How it relates to you
To operate as any of the market participants listed you will need to complete SVA Qualification.
BSC Party roles
- Asset Metering Virtual Lead Party
- Distribution System Operator – (may also need to register as Supplier Meter Registration Agent and Unmetered Supplies Operator)
- Virtual Lead Party
SVA Party Agent roles
- Asset Metering Half Hourly Data Collector (AMHHDC)
- Asset Metering Meter Operator Agent (AMMOA)
- Central Volume Allocation Meter Operator Agent (CVAMOA)
- Data Aggregator (Half Hourly and Non Half Hourly)
- Data Collector (Half Hourly and Non Half Hourly)
- Meter Administrator (MA)
- Supplier Meter Registration Agent (SMRA)
- Unmetered Supplies Operator (UMSO)
Why is it important?
The Qualification process aims to provide assurance that an organisation’s systems and processes have been developed in line with BSC requirements and good practice. Qualification also helps check that systems won’t pose a risk to settlement.
How to Qualify
This section features the SVA Qualification process followed by a ‘Qualification check list’.
Parties must Accede to the BSC before starting Qualification. SVA Party Agents (listed above) and Central Volume Allocation Meter Operator Agents must sign and submit the Qualification Letter.
Following receipt of the Applicant’s Qualification Letter (or confirmation of Accession), Elexon and our Qualification Service Provider (QSP) will hold a planning meeting with you. This meeting will provide guidance and support and agree timescales for the application.
You may be required to undertake Entry Assessment under the Retail Energy Code (REC). If so, the Retail Energy Code Company will also attend the planning meeting.
Qualification applicants must then complete the Self Assessment Document (SAD). The SAD can be submitted in full or section by section for review. Once submitted, the QSP will provide feedback until it has been completed.
The QSP will provide a scope for the Witness Testing and/or witness any tests reasonable in order to assess some or all information provided in the SAD.
When we are satisfied that you have fully completed the SAD and provided all appropriate information, documentation, evidence and verification, a recommendation will be provided to the Performance Assurance Board (PAB) in relation to your application for Qualification.
The PAB will determine your application for Qualification as either:
- Approved with a determination that certain matters are to be subsequently complied with
Qualification check list
- Accede to the BSC by signing the Accession Agreement (SVA Party Agents and CVAMOAs must sign and submit the Qualification Letter)
- Meet with QSP (and REC if applicable to role) for guidance and agree timescales for the application
- Qualification applicants must then complete the Self Assessment Document (SAD)
- QSP to assess information provided in the SAD
- Report submitted to PAB so they can determine your application
All forms needed for Qualification can be accessed on this page.
As an applicant, you do not need to pay to go through the Qualification process. The costs for this are recovered centrally through Elexon’s funding mechanisms.
- BSCP537: Qualification Process for SVA Parties, SVA Party Agents and CVA Meter Operators
- BSC Section J – Party Agents and Qualification Under the Code
- Qualification Approach Document
- SVA Qualification: Storyboards and Test Guidelines
Qualified Persons are required to Re-Qualify prior to implementing Material Changes to the systems, staff or processes they use to operate in their market role. Qualified Persons will need to produce a risk and impact assessment (RIA) to determine if those changes are Material.
Please note: Re-Qualification does not apply to Suppliers, VLPs or LDSOs except when acting in their capacity as an UMSO or SMRA.
How do I start the Re-Qualification process?
Please contact your Operational Support Manager (OSM) or the Qualification team. They will then get in touch with you to talk about Re-Qualification in more detail.
It is similar to the SVA Qualification process except you only answer questions affected by the change within the SAD. We then review the document, supporting evidence and carry out witness testing.
As an applicant, you do not need to pay to go through the Re-Qualification process. The costs for this are recovered centrally through Elexon’s funding mechanisms.
Surrender of Qualification
Your Qualified Person’s Qualification can be surrendered voluntarily by following the process below.
- Contact your Operation Support Manager (OSM) or contact the Qualification Team – [email protected].
- Submit the Surrender of Qualification Letter to the Qualification Team.
- The letter is submitted to PAB so they can determine your outcome.
Removal of Qualification
Your Qualified Person’s Qualification can be removed if you do not comply with certain requirements and standards.
This can be avoided if you follow the techniques listed in the Performance Assurance Framework.