About the BSC change process
The Balancing and Settlement Code (BSC) Change process is used to introduce changes to the BSC arrangements in response to any concerns, problems or defects that Parties may identify in the current processes. Under these processes, changes can be made to the BSC, its Code Subsidiary Documents (CSDs) and to BSC Systems.
P439 Authority Led SCR Modification Consultation19 April 2022
P395 Report Phase Consultation19 April 2022
P432 Assessment Procedure Consultation30 March 2022
FAQs on testing of P375 BSC System changes15 February 2022
Participate in the design of our Digital BSC website8 February 2022
Complete our survey to help improve the BSC Change process31 January 2022
P433 Report Phase Consultation13 December 2021
P431 Report Phase Consultation13 December 2021
Issue 93 consultation: cease using Codes of Practice 6 to 91 December 2021
Modification P399 implemented to support greater competition for balancing services8 November 2021
Webinar on P375: Settlement of Secondary BM Units held on 7 December 202121 October 2021
P412 National Grid ESO Consultation: responses due by 5pm on 26 November 2021Source: National Grid ESO 28 October 2021
P332 Report Phase Consultation: Revisions to the Supplier Hub Principle7 October 2021
Modification P399 approved by Ofgem21 May 2021
Ground-breaking Modification to support net zero is approved26 February 2021
Video: BSC Change on their updated ways of working22 February 2021
Approval of Modification P398 increases access to BSC data10 February 2021
Virtual Lead Parties could trade in the wholesale market13 October 2020
COVID-19: Managing changes to the Balancing and Settlement Code14 April 2020
Smart meter consultation including changes to the BSC8 April 2020
Podcast: P392 ‘Amending BSC Change Process for EBGL Article 18’9 March 2020
Raising a Change
- Change Report and Change Register – we produce two summary documents that give an overview of the latest progress to active and/or closed Modifications, Change Proposals and Issues. Each are updated regularly and are useful for keeping up-to-date.
- Change Proposal Circulars – published monthly when communicating Change Proposals for Industry Participant Impact Assessment responses.
List of Changes
- Modifications – these are raised to introduce changes that would alter any part of the BSC legal text. Any CSDs or BSC Systems impacted by the proposed changes would also be updated as part of the Modification.
- Change Proposals – these are detailed proposals which are raised to amend CSDs and/or BSC Systems, but would not alter the BSC legal text itself.
- Issues – these are problems or potential issues with the current arrangements whereby the solution is unknown or undefined, so once raised will be discussed by an industry expert Issue Group to consider possible solutions.
- Changes by role – this page lists the industry roles that have been identified as being impacted by BSC Change Modifications and Change Proposals. Please note that the assessment of where impacts may affect certain roles within the electricity market may be amended during the course of the Change process.
Updated ways of working
The BSC Change team have published a new video outlining the changes they have made to their ways of working during the year 2020/21. Following feedback from our Parties in our annual Customer Survey, the changes include finding new ways to progress BSC Change and supporting Market Participants. They have also been working in a number of areas to improve Parties’ experience of the Change process. Improved areas include:
- new ways of reporting
- improved governance
- updated communication and engagement
- planning future changes now
EBGL Change Process webinar
Watch our video to find out how the BSC Change process has been amended to include the EBGL Change process.
Streamlining the Modification Process
We have proposed ‘quick wins’ in order to offer a more consistent process for making changes to the 11 energy industry codes.
Find out how six proposals could speed up the process and reduce the burden on market participants.
The Releases process is part of the BSC change procedure and includes information about where changes are being introduced, how they impact on certain areas of the industry and whether your systems will need to undergo tests to ensure they are up-to-date and meet required standards.
If you are interested in raising a Change, joining a Workgroup or Issue Group, responding to a Consultation or have any Change-related queries, please email the Change Team, where we will be happy to help.
The BSC Panel will establish a Modification Workgroup when a Modification Proposal is submitted to an Assessment Procedure.
Watch our video to find out how to successfully participate in a Workgroup:
- Download slides used in the Participating in a Workgroup video
- Watch our How to Register for a Workgroup video and find out more about Modification Workgroups.
Keeping up to date
We issue email notifications to the industry to provide information on Modifications, Change Proposals, Issues and Releases. This includes information on new Changes being raised, consultations being issued and decisions being made.
If you would like to be on the distribution list to receive these notifications on Modifications, Change Proposals and Issues, please email the Change Team.
If you would like to be on the distribution list to recieve BSC Release information, please email the Releases team.
Guidance and advice
We are here to help you throughout the Change process. Each proposal is allocated its own dedicated Lead Analyst who will be responsible for progressing that Change and will able to answer any questions you may have. In addition, we can offer you advice and guidance on any potential proposals you may want to raise, and will offer you support throughout your proposal’s subsequent progression.