Becoming an Interconnector Administrator or Interconnector Error Administrator

This page lists and details the step-by-step process of becoming a Interconnector Administrator (IA) or Interconnector Error Administration (IEA). You will also learn about what qualifications are needed, the relevant costs and charges and any other information you may need to know.

What is an Interconnector Administrator?

The Interconnected System Operator (ISO) can appoint a different Party to be the IA and the IEA.

Interconnector Administrator

IAs are responsible for determining and submitting Interconnector BM Unit Metered Volumes on the Interconnector User’s behalf into Settlement for each
Settlement Period.

Interconnector Error Administrator

IEAs are allocated any difference between the actual Metered Volume and the aggregate position of all Interconnector User’s BM Unit Deemed Metered Volume (deemed to have been delivered) as notified by the IA.

Qualifications needed

In order to qualify as an Interconnector Administrator you will need to obtain the following qualifications:

The CVA Qualification is needed to prove that IAs and IEAs have the ability to send certain Communications to BSC Agents and ensure that certain communications are received. 

Waiver testing

You can waiver testing if you were to reach an agreement with an existing BSC party to use their already Qualified system. You can only apply for the waiver if the Supporting Participant you intend to use is Qualified in the same role as the Qualifying participant, as stated in BSCP70.

We would require a signed letter from the system owner and then you would be able to waiver testing on basis that the system was already tested when they went through Market Entry.


Interconnector Administrators or Interconnector Error Administrators acceding to the BSC must pay a £500 accession fee which covers the administrative costs of entering the market.

Once acceded, a flat monthly fee of £250 + VAT applies. This is known as a base monthly charge. 

How to become an Interconnector Administrator or Interconnector Error Administrator

You will need to go through various steps in order to register as a Interconnector Administrator or Interconnector Error Administrator. The diagram below lists all the tasks required.

Within the individual steps there are forms that need to be completed and details about financial transactions that need to take place. You can also use the Elexon Kinnect Customer Solution, where you will be directed to all the relevant steps needed to become an Interconnector Administrator or Interconnector Error Administrator. Elexon Kinnect is a self-service gateway that offers a guided and streamlined market entry process.

Accession to the BSC

Accession to the BSC

The first stage of the market entry process is to become a BSC Party. This is done by signing the BSC Accession agreement, which is a contract between Elexon and the applicant. On signing the Accession Agreement the applicant is agreeing to abide by the rules and obligations set out within the BSC itself. Applicants must also pay a one off £500 application fee and be aware that on becoming a BSC Party, VLPs start paying the monthly membership fees of £125. Section A of the BSC lists the requirements you will need to fulfil to become a BSC Party.

What do I need to do?

Complete and sign an original copy of the BSC Accession Agreement. The agreement should be signed by the registered company director but not dated. Once we receive the agreements we will date and countersign them before returning one back to you.

Send the signed agreements to: [email protected].

Complete the Accession Form and send to Market Entry ([email protected]). This is to provide us with the details required to support you through the Market Entry process.

Send the £500 Application Fee – This can be paid by Cheque/BACS or CHAPS. BACS/CHAPS payments can be made using Elexon’s details as follows:

Account Name: Elexon Ltd
Account Number: 60115819
Sort Code: 20-00-00
Bank: Barclays Bank Plc
Branch: 1 Churchill Place, London, E14 5HP

Please note that the above bank account is for Elexon charges only and is separate to the two bank accounts used by the Funds Administration Agent (FAA) for Trading Charges and Credit Cover. For more information on Elexon charges please see the BSC Costs & Charges webpage.

Order comms lines

Order comms lines

As a party operating within the BSC arrangements you will need to be able to send and receive communications to and from Elexon and the BSC Agent systems.

Communication methods

Some communications are manual (via fax, post and email) but most are sent via electronic data flows. The electronic data flows are sent and received via 2 communication methods, the High Grade Service and the Low Grade Service.

The High Grade Service

This provides access to all services and data through private network communication. For the BMRA service, the High Grade Services provides the capability for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week near real time information to be ‘pushed’ to the service users.

Users of the High Grade service can access this data either through browser screens (using Service Provider supplied applets to refresh the screens on receipt of updates), or through a defined programmatic interface (using TIBCO software) (BMRS data only).

The Low Grade Service

This provides access to all services and data through the public internet, with consequently no guarantees on access times or availability. The Low Grade Service provides access to BMRA data through a browser, but without the automatic refresh, the users are responsible for ‘pulling’ the data for screen based access and file downloads.

How much does it cost and how long does it take to order?

The Low Grade Service is free of charge for all Parties and takes Elexon around 5WDs to process your request. For more information on what is required please look at the Communications Requirement Document.

The charges for the High Grade Service depend on the type of line you require and whether you require a disaster recovery line and TIBCO Software. The current charges can be found within the Schedule of specified communications charges. High Grade Lines in the UK take around 60WDs to install from the point of order, the time taken to install HG lines in Europe is dependent on the exact location and can be discussed at the point of order.

What do I need to do?

Place a Communication Line Request . Once you have decided which service you require you will need to place an order with Elexon.
For a more detailed view of setting up communication lines, please refer to the Communication Line process diagram.

Set up authorised signatories

Set up authorised signatories

Authorised Persons need to be created to ensure that we are aware of who within your company is authorised to carry out specific BSC activities. Further information regarding Authorised Persons and the different levels of authorisations can be found in BSCP38.

What do I need to do?

Submit a letter from the company director nominating an initial category A Authorised person. The letter must be on a company headed paper.

Submit a BSCP38/5.1 form and the letter to [email protected]. Both Part A and C must be completed by the person nominated within the director’s letter. For each additional person being authorised you will need to complete part C. Please note that a Category ‘A’ Authorised Signatory can act on behalf of all categories. Unless there is a specific person you would like to authorise for a specific category, then please only tick A.

Complete CVA Qualification

Complete CVA Qualification

All BSC Parties must demonstrate their ability to communicate with BSC central systems and comply with the requirements in Section O of the BSC by completing CVA Qualification Testing as part of the market entry process. For more information on CVA Qualification testing please refer to the links below.

What do I need to do?

You will also need to refer to the CVA Qualification Checklist within BSCP70 to ensure you are prepared for testing and have the necessary validation software and business systems in place before arranging a test date. Once you’re ready to carry out testing please complete the relevant test booking forms in BSCP70 and submit to Market Entry ([email protected]) along with a date you would like the testing to take place (10 WD lead time). N.B You are able to opt out of testing some or all of the required data flows and will need to specify this within the BSCP70 form, choosing to opt out of testing all or some of the data flows is done at the Party’s own risk. If you are qualifying as an ECVNA or MVRNA then testing is mandatory.

Lodge Credit Cover

Lodge Credit Cover

Trading Charge payments are made to or by Parties 29 days after a Settlement Day. Credit Cover ensures that Elexon has enough collateral from you to cover these payments if you cannot make them. For further information on Credit Cover please refer to the Credit Cover Information Sheet. If you have any queries regarding Credit Cover please email them to [email protected]

What do I need to do?

To lodge Cash Credit cover

You will need to provide the credit cover to the Funds Administration Agent (FAA) which will be held in the reserve a/c:

Barclays Bank Plc.
Sort Code: 20-00-00
Beneficiary Account Name: Elexon Clear Limited.
Reserve Account. Beneficiary Account Number: 00256269
IBAN: IBAN GB96 BARC 2000 0000 2562 69

Please contact the FAA via the BSC Service Desk prior to lodging credit.

Please note that the above bank account is for lodging Credit Cover only and is separate to the two bank accounts used to pay BSC Charges and Trading Charges

To provide Credit Cover by a letter of credit

The templates that can be used to form the letter of credit can be found in Annex M-1, M-2 & M-3 of the BSC. The letter of credit must be issued from a Bank with a credit rating of ‘A’ or greater and must be valid for a minimum of 3 months.

Submit Funds Accession details

Submit Funds Accession details

The Funds Administration Agent (FAA) manage the funds transfer between Elexon and BSC Parties for any Trading Charges owed to or by BSC Parties during the balancing & Settlement of the market. The FAA will require some company financial details from you to ensure they are ready to be able to invoice you for any trading charges owed or payable after go-live. Please note that the FAA bank account from which you receive / to which you pay Trading Charges is separate to the two bank accounts in to which you pay BSC Charges and lodge Credit Cover.

What do I need to do?

Submit a BSCP301/04(a) 10WDs before registering in BSC Central Systems to [email protected]. For further guidance on the Funds Accession Form please see our Guidance Note.

Submit Credit Contacts

Submit Credit Contacts

Before completing the market entry process all new parties are required to provide Elexon with two out of hours contacts in case an urgent issue arises out of normal working hours (e.g., Credit cover breaches etc). ​

What do I need to do?

Provide two contacts. Please complete the Operational contact spreadsheet Submit by email to Market Entry ([email protected]) at least 2WDs prior to registering in Central Systems.

Appointment of Party Role

Appointment of Party Role

Before you can start trading the ISO must appoint a Party as the IA and IEA in relation to the Interconnector and that Party must consent to the appointment. The ISO can appoint a different Party to be the IA and IEA.

What do I need to do?

Complete a IA/IEA Appointment Form at least 3WDs prior to the party registration date and submit this to [email protected]

Register Party Agent Role

Register Party Agent Role

Before you can start operating as a CVA Party Agent you will need to register your CVA Party Agent details within BSC Central Systems. The registration process can be found in detail within BSCP71. ​

What do I need to do?

Complete a BSCP71/05. Submit to Market Entry ([email protected]) at least 2WDs prior to the party registration date.

Register Party Role

Register Party Role

Before you can start trading you will need to register your Parties details within BSC Central Systems. The registration process can be found in detail within BSCP65.

What do I need to do?

Complete a BSCP65/01 at least 3WDs prior to the party registration date.

Register Interconnector BM Units

Register Interconnector BM Units

BM Units are the units used to represent all energy export and import in Settlement. There are specific BM Units assigned to each Party and we sum up their volumes and contracts, for each Party, when we carry out the Settlement calculations.

For further information on BM Units please read the BM Unit Information Sheet.

Interconnector Users are required to register two Interconnector BM Units to record the energy flowing in both directions of the Interconnector.

​What do I need to do?

At least 30 WDs prior to your BM Unit registration date you will need to submit a BSCP15/4.1 form to provide the details required to register your BM Units. This form and any queries should be sent to Market Entry ([email protected]).

Go Live

Go Live

Meet with us

Before you join the BSC we recommend you meet with us to discuss and understand your requirements.


Click on the X next to any of the icons to replace them with a short-cut link to the page you are currently on or search for a specific page.

List of BSC Insights

Previous Circulars

Training videos and services

Market Entry

Charge Codes and Switch Regimes

Add New